In Kentucky there aren’t any state regulations in place that require a server or bartender to be licensed in order to sell alcohol
It is important to keep in mind some employers, counties or cities will require bartenders to complete such courses regardless of state law.
**In fact, there are 97 local communities that have ordinances that require some form of training for individuals who sell or serve alcohol.
- Look under section “Bartender/ Server Training” for further details.
Minimum Age To Serve Alcoholic Beverages In Kentucky:
Other Requirements That May Be Helpful:
- Driver’s License or Passport
- Good Communication Skills
- Be able to stand long periods of time
- Knowledge of basic drink recipes
Bartending/ Server Training:
By local ordinances, many counties and cities require server training. The server training providers may differ from county to county.
- The list of Mandated Server Training Communities is found HERE (pdf)
- In Kentucky, the Alcoholic Beverage Control recommends its S.T.A.R. course for all who serve or sell alcohol. However, as stated above, local ordinances may carry different course/ training requirements
- Click HERE to contact/ look up the different county Alcoholic Beverage Control Administrators in the state of Kentucky
S.T.A.R. – Server Training in Alcoholic Regulations
- STAR is Kentucky specific regard alcohol laws
- The course is $35 per person
- Certification is valid for 3 years
- The class is approximately 4 hours long
- Classes & materials ARE available in Spanish
- Private classes ARE available for groups of 15 or more
** Be aware that registrants of STAR will now be reminded of their class time via e-mail. Make sure you provide the office with an accurate Email address
STAR Registration Resources:
- Online registration can be found HERE, along with the class calendar; information on when and where classes are available
- Private Class Request Form (pdf)
- Private Class Fact Sheet (pdf)
- STAR training Registration Form (pdf) – Use this form if you prefer to send a printed version of the registration by U.S. Mail. Attach the completed form together with your payment.
Kentucky Dept of Alcoholic Beverage Control
Attn: Education Branch
1003 Twilight Trail
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601-8400
Education Branch Contacts:
Qualifications of having a valid Kentucky Bartending/ Server license:
The state of Kentucky prohibits employees from having a license if:
- A conviction for a felony of any kind within the past 5 years
- A conviction of any drug misdemeanor described in KRS218A.050 through KRS218A.130 within the past 2 years.
- A conviction for any misdemeanor directly or indirectly attributable to the use of alcoholic beverages within the past 2 years.
- The state of Kentucky’s Wet/Dry map (pdf)
For more Information, please contact your Local City Clerk office.