In the state of Oregon, all alcohol servers are REQUIRED training. According to state law, those that wish to serve/sell alcohol MUST take and pass a server education course.

Oregon Bartending

Don’t look any further… Here, we have all the information about the process of becoming certified below.

Oregon Server Education Step-by-Step Instructions:

For starters, this is a two-step process. You will need to submit a service permit application AND take your server education class (Unfortunately, both are separate fees)

Step 1: Check your eligibility

  • The Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) provides a self-screening application
  • HERE is the link (pdf)

Step 2: Application

  • HERE is the Service Permit Application (You’ll have to create an account)
  • You MUST print 2 copies of your completed application.
    • Send one copy to the Oregon Liquor Control Commission (see address below) with money order or check of $23.00
    • Keep the other to use as your temporary permit until you receive your permanent permit in the mail

** You CANNOT submit the application online. You either need to mail it in or bring it into one of the OLCC’s field offices with the $23.00

OLCC Address: OLCC Service Permit Section -- PO Box 22297Portland -- OR 97222-7355

Step 3: Permit Application Status

  • HERE you can check the status of your Alcohol Service Permit Application.
    • If you do not see your name of the list and it has been more than 7 days since you submitted your application, please contact the OLCC at (503)872-5200

Step 4: Find a Class and Training Providers

  • You can either take a class online or in-person & the prices do vary
  • HERE are the In-Person Class Providers
    • If you do choose to take a class in-person, follow this link to access monthly calendars. Simply pick a month & find a class in your city!
  • HERE are the Online Class Providers

Step 5: Server Education Test Results

  • If you have completed and passed your Server Education Permit test within the past 60 days, your name should be on the list of the test results.
    • After 60 days, your name will no longer appear on the list and you will need to contact the OLCC to find out your score. Again, that number is (503)872-5200
    • If you do not see your name on the list and it has been more than 7 days since you have completed the test, please contact the OLCC office by phone or email

Service Permit Replacement

  • You can only replace your permit if it is unexpired. If you card is expired, this section does not apply. You can replace your permit if your permit was lost, stolen, misplaced, or your name has changed. The cost is $5.00

The same instructions/application process for a new permit applies to a replacement permit except you do NOT need an authorized signature for this request.

  • HERE is where you can enter the portal to get your Service permit application
    • Remember: You MUST print (2) copies of your completed application.
      • Send one copy to OLCC with your check or money order of $5.00
      • Keep the other to use as your temporary permit until you receive your replacement permit in the mail

Renewing Service Permit

  • If you have taken an Alcohol Server Education class within the past 7 years, you are eligible to take the renewal class.
  • Follow this link to receive further instructions and renewal classes

Minimum Age To Serve Alcoholic Beverages in Oregon:

  • 21

Rules for minors:

  • Applicants between the ages of 18 and 21 can get a minor service permit. Minor servers may sell and serve alcohol only in areas where “food service” is the primary activity and not in areas prohibited to minors (places 21&up).
  • Minor servers may enter areas prohibited to minors (21&up) only long enough to pick up drink orders, stock supplies and perfrom food service duties such as bussing tables and delivering food.
  • Minors are NOT allowed to mix drinks or work as a bartender or cocktail server
  • On your 21st birthday, these restrictions will no longer apply!

Other Requirements That May Be Helpful:

  • Driver’s License or Passport
  • Good Communication Skills
  • Be able to stand long periods of time
  • Knowledge of basic drink recipes

References & Additional Information

For more information, please contact your local City Clerk’s office.

Bartending Jobs Board


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *