Everyone who sells or serves alcohol in the state of New Mexico MUST obtain a valid Alcohol Server Permit by taking & passing a New Mexico state-approved Alcohol Server Education class. Thus, bartenders & servers are required to have this permit
- Permits are valid for only 3 years
- Temporary Server Permits are valid for 150 days from the date of issuance
- Classes are conducted by private providers, so times, locations and prices may vary
New Mexico Alcohol Server Education Requirement Information:
- You can view the course schedule > Here
- Only approved providers listed on New Mexico Regulation & Licensing Department’s website are acceptable.
- For the provider listing click here, (scroll below calendar to see providers)
- There you’ll find all of the links, prices, contact information, addresses!
Minimum Age Required to Serve/ Sell alcohol in New Mexico:
- 21: Only persons over the age of 21 may sell or serve alcohol in package stores, bars or lounges
- Persons 19 and 20 years of age may only work in a restaurant environment and CANNOT be bartenders or cocktail servers
** In New Mexico, a restaurant is considered an establishment whose primary activity is the sale of food and not the sale or consumption of alcohol.
If you lost your server permit, you can obtain a duplicate server permit in the following 3 ways:
- Visit the office in Santa Fe. Bring a picture ID, and $10 (cashier’s check or money order ONLY) and complete the duplicate request form. ONLY the person to whom the permit is issued can pick up the duplicate.
- Download the Alcohol Server Replacement Request form. Complete and return it to the office with the fee of $10 (money order or cashier’s check ONLY), and a copy of your Government Issued ID (Driver’s License, Identification Card or Passport). This takes approximately 10-15 days.
- Call the office at (505) 476-4875 and they will fax or mail you the Alcohol Server Replacement Request form. Complete the application and return it to our office with the fee of $10 (money order or cashier’s check ONLY), and a copy of your Government Issued ID (Driver’s License, Identification Card or Passport). This takes approximately 10-15 days.
If you have taken the server education class and have not received your permanent card:
- If you haven’t received your card within 120 days after taking the server class, please call (505) 476-4875.
How to RENEW Servers Permit:
- You must take another servers certification course PRIOR to your current permit expiring.
Address of Department:
Toney Anaya Building
2550 Cerrillos Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504
Other Requirements That May Be Helpful:
- Good Communication Skills
- Be able to stand long periods of time
- Knowledge of basic drink recipes
- Previous Bartending/ Server Experience
For more information, please contact your local city clerk’s office.