Obtaining a bartending license in the state of Idaho can sometimes be a confusing process. Each local jurisdiction has the authority to decide what, if any training is required to serve alcohol.
For example, the city of Boise requires a bartending license/ training program for those who serve alcoholic beverages. If your municipality does require a bartending license, there is a list of state approved vendors. See below for details.
It is important to keep in mind that some employers, counties, and cities will require bartenders to complete such courses regardless of state laws.
Minimum Age To Serve Alcoholic Beverages In Idaho:
Other Requirements That May Be Helpful:
- Driver’s License or Passport
- Good Communication Skills
- Be able to stand long periods of time
- Knowledge of basic drink recipes
Boise City Bartending License Requirements:
- In the city of Boise, Bartenders or any person to sell, or dispense any alcoholic beverage MUST obtain the appropriate license or permit required by city ordinance.
City of Boise and State-approved server training programs are listed here:
- ServSafe Alcohol
- TIPS – Training for Intervention Procedures program
- Learn2Serve training for on premise servers and sellers of alcohol
- Diversys Learning
- ACE Gem State Justice
- The state of Idaho provides a free, online Alcohol Awareness Certification with videos here.
- **Please note: This may or may not qualify with an employer’s city ordinance as an approved certification.
For more information, please contact your local City Clerk’s office.