In South Dakota, there aren’t any state regulations in place that require a server or bartender to be licensed in order to sell alcohol.
It is important to keep in mind some employers will require bartenders to complete such courses regardless of state or city laws.
Minimum Age To Serve Alcoholic Beverages In South Dakota:
- If the sale of alcoholic beverages constitutes LESS THAN 50% of business establishment transactions, the minimum age to sell/serve alcoholic beverages is 18
- If the sale of alcoholic beverages constitutes MORE THAN 50% of business establishment transactions, the minimum age to sell/serve alcoholic beverages is 21
IMPORTANT: The minimum alcohol serving age strongly depends on (1) the type of license (liquor, malt beverage, on/off-sale, etc.) the establishment possess as well as (2) the percentage alcoholic beverage sales.
- Depending on the establishment’s license, those that are under the age of 21 may or may not be allowed to sell/serve alcohol without the supervision of another employee above the age of 21
- Also, depending on an establishment’s license, employees under the age of 21 may or may not tend bar, draw, or mix alcoholic beverages
** Most bars and restaurants, required by state law, restrict employees under the age of 21 to act as a bartender (tend bar, draw, or mix alcoholic beverages)
FOLLOW THIS LINK to see the different types of licenses and their corresponding server-age limitations.
South Dakota Alcohol Training Programs
Although state jurisdiction does not require servers/sellers of alcoholic beverages to be training-certified… the following state-approved courses/programs are recommended..
South Dakota Retailers Association – Certified Alcohol Seller Training (CAST)
- Number: 1-800-658-5545
- For both on and off premise
- Available and offered online
- Address: Professional Server Certification Corporation, P.O. Box 192, Madison, SD 57042, (605) 427-2916 or (800) 247-7737
ServSafe Alcohol – National Restaurant Association / South Dakota Retailers Association.
- Contact: SDRA at 1-800-658-5545
Skillsoft/MindLeaders – Online Responsible Alcohol Training Program
- Website: www.skillsoft.com (Alcohol & Food Safety Store under Product tab)
- Number: (866) 754.5435.
TAM (Techniques of Alcohol Management) and TAM Online
- Licensed Beverage Dealers of South Dakota
- Number: 1-800-721-1789
TIPS (Training for Intervention Procedures)
- Both on and off-premise
- Contact: Nicole M. Seymour, Health Communications, Inc./TIPS, 1400 Key Boulevard, Suite 700, Arlington, VA 22209
- Number: (703) 524-1200 or 1-800-GET-TIPS .
Diversys Learning, Inc – Responsible Alcohol Server Training
- Printable certificate available immediately upon completion.
- Contact: 512-343-2600 ext. 200
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Requirements That May Be Helpful:
- Driver’s License or Passport
- Good Communication Skills
- Be able to stand long periods of time
- Knowledge of basic drink recipes
For more information, please contact your local City Clerk’s office.