In Kentucky there aren’t any state-wide regulations in place that require a server or bartender to be licensed in order to sell alcohol.
BUT it is important to keep in mind some employers, counties or cities will require bartenders to complete such courses regardless of state law.
*IMPORTANT NOTE*: There are 97 local communities/ordinances that may require some form of training for individuals who sell or serve alcohol.
Look in the Bartender/ Server Training section below for further details.
Minimum Age To Serve Alcoholic Beverages In Kentucky:
Kentucky Bartending/ Server Training:
By local ordinances, many counties and cities in the state of Kentucky require server training. Simply put, you may or may not be required to take an alcohol training course. It all depends on which jurisdiction you are located in.
- The updated list of Mandated Server Training Communities is found HERE (pdf)
- In Kentucky, the Alcoholic Beverage Control mainly recommends its S.T.A.R. course (see below for more details) for all who serve or sell alcohol. However, keep in mind, local ordinances may carry different course/ training requirements, so be sure to double check.
- Visit the COUNTY or CITY reference guides to look-up/contact your county Alcoholic Beverage Control Administrator
S.T.A.R. – Server Training in Alcoholic Regulations
- STAR is Kentucky specific regard alcohol laws
- The course is $40 per person
- Certification is valid for 3 years
- The class is approximately 4 hours long
- Classes & materials ARE available in Spanish
- Private classes ARE available for groups of 15 or more
** Be aware that registrants of STAR will now be reminded of their class time via e-mail. Make sure you provide the office with an accurate Email address
STAR Registration Resources:
- Online registration can be found HERE, along with the class calendar; information on when and where classes are available
Kentucky Dept of Alcoholic Beverage Control
Attn: Education Branch
1003 Twilight Trail
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601-8400
Education Branch Contacts:
Qualifications of having a valid Kentucky Bartending/ Server license:
The state of Kentucky prohibits employees from having a license if:
- A conviction for a felony of any kind within the past 5 years
- A conviction of any drug misdemeanor described in KRS218A.050 through KRS218A.130 within the past 2 years.
- A conviction for any misdemeanor directly or indirectly attributable to the use of alcoholic beverages within the past 2 years.
- The state of Kentucky’s Wet/Dry map (pdf)
Other Requirements That May Be Helpful:
- Driver’s License or Passport
- Good Communication Skills
- Be able to stand long periods of time
- Knowledge of basic drink recipes
For more Information, please contact your Local City Clerk office.