The Peppermint Espresso Martini, or as we like to call it, the grown-up vodka Redbull, has become a wildly popular drink over the last year or so thanks to the likes of social media platforms like TikTok and Instagram.
The drink was coined by the late famous British bartender, Dick Bradsell, at Fred’s Club in London in the 80s. As the story goes, a supermodel asked Bradsell for a drink that would “wake me up and f**k me up,” and thus, the Espresso Martini was born.
This drink is very popular among younger patrons. The simplicity of the ingredients along with the mild alcohol taste make it a favorite of those who may be just getting into cocktails or bartending.
The peppermint spices things up a bit, adding a cool, semi-sweet bite to the creamy cocktail.
This drink is a perfect energy booster for when you’re feeling a bit tired from all of the holiday festivities. Here’s everything you’ll need to make it:
- 1 shot (1.5oz) freshly brewed espresso or cold brew concentrate
- 1 shot of vodka
- 1.5 shots of Kahlúa Peppermint Mocha Liqueur
- A splash of cream (optional)
How to make a peppermint espresso martini:
- Start with a shot of espresso and throw it in the freezer to let it chill. If you don’t have an espresso machine, cold brew concentrate is an excellent substitute. The stronger the coffee, the better.
- In a cocktail shaker, add the espresso, Kahlúa, vodka, and (optional) cream. Absolut Vodka describes the shaking process as “waking the drink to life, not rocking it to bed.”
- Pour your cocktail into a chilled martini glass and enjoy.
- If you’re feeling extra festive, you can rim your glass with candy cane pieces.