In California there aren’t any state regulations in place that require a server or bartender to be licensed in order to sell alcohol.
It is important to keep in mind though that some employers will require bartenders to complete such courses such as the LEAD Exam, regardless of state or city laws.
Although not required, if you are a self-starter or want to have a leg-up on the competition, we suggest this Alcohol Seller Course from ServingAlcohol.com.
Minimum Age To Serve Alcoholic Beverages In California:
- 18 years old to be a server in a restaurant
- 21 years old to work at a bar
Other Requirements That May Be Helpful:
- Driver’s License
- Good Communication Skills
- Be able to stand long periods of time
- Knowledge of basic drink recipes
For more information, please contact your local City Clerk’s office.