In general, Colorado does not require a server or bartender to be licensed in order to sell alcohol.
The exceptions, where an employee does need to be licensed are as follows:
- If you work at a liquor store that conducts tastings
- If you work in an establishment that has received a prior alcohol violation
It is important to keep in mind though, that many employers in the state of Colorado will want to be certified “Responsible Vendors” regardless of Colorado laws.
Colorado Bartending Training:
In order to be certified, the establishment is required to have all new employees involved in the sale, handling and service of alcoholic beverages complete bartending training within 90 days of date of hire. Of course, the location where you work/ are applying will alert you if you are required to become certified.
If you are required to obtain a bartending license, your class will include at least two (2) hours of instruction time and the successful passing of a final test with a 70% or higher.
*The initial bartender’s training class will cover:
- Discussion concerning alcohol’s effects on the human body
- Liquor liability
- Sales to visibly intoxicated persons
- Sales to minors
- How to check for acceptable forms of identification
- Other key state laws and rules affecting owners, managers, sellers, and servers
* Note – recertification is required every three (3) years
You can find a list of Colorado approved “Responsible Vendor” trainers in your city here.
Minimum Age To Sell Alcohol at a Liquor Store or 3.2% Outlet
- 18, if under the direct supervision of a person who is at least 21
Minimum Age to Sell Alcoholic Beverages for On-Premises Consumption
- 18, if under the direct supervision of a person who is at least 21 and if the tavern regularly serves meals
- 21 if the tavern does not regularly serve meals
Other Requirements That May Be Helpful:
- Driver’s License
- Good Communication Skills
- Be able to stand long periods of time
- Knowledge of basic drink recipes
For more information, please contact your local City Clerk’s office.